GRAMPS is not designed to run on Microsoft Windows and should be regarded as experimental. Because it has been designed to use the multi-platform toolsets Python and GTK, a few volunteers have created a test installer that a few users report to work without too many obvious issues. But there are currently no GRAMPS developers committed to this platform.
Because the software is not formally tested and we get very little feedback about it, we will continue to maintain this warning: GRAMPS on Windows could become unstable or may subtly compromise your data. If you choose to use this:
- Work with a copy of your main database and keep regular backups in the GRAMPS XML format.
- Do not recommend it to Windows users as a stable genealogy application.
- Join the GRAMPS Windows mailing list to share your experiences or if you are a developer able to contribute to a Windows port.
- Close any gtk-based applications that are running, such as the GIMP or Pidgin. See additional note below.
- Install the packages in the following order:
- Python 2.5.1 => python-2.5.1.msi (10.7 MB, from python.org)
- GTK+ 2.10.11 => gtk-dev-2.10.11-win32-1.exe (11.9 MB, from gladewin32, includes glade, see note)
- pygtk 2.10.6 => pygtk-2.10.6-1.win32-py2.5.exe (1.8 MB, from www.acc.umu.se)
- pygobject 2.12.3 => pygobject-2.12.3-1.win32-py2.5.exe (163 KB, from www.gnome.org)
- pycairo 1.2.6 => pycairo-1.2.6-1.win32-py2.5.exe (82 KB, from www.acc.umu.se)
- Re-boot the computer after installing the above dependencies, prior to installing GRAMPS.
- Install GRAMPS for Windows. You can install the last stable version:
- gramps-3.0.0-1.exe -- (4.4 MB) GRAMPS one-click installer for Windows, with support for 20 languages. Note: The installer often complains that pygtk is not installed. Cancelling and re-running the installer seems to fix this problem.
NOTE: If you already have GTK+ installed, perhaps because you have installed The Gimp or Pidgin, then the installer will not be able to write to some files if one of those applications is running. If you see errors with the GTK+ installer select cancel, shut down the other GTK+ applications and run the installer again. (This issue has been reported as GTK+ Installer doesn't handle locked files well to the kind people who make the installer for windows.)
There are some features of Gramps that need additional programs to work. There are several different kinds of reports, and the following features need extra configuration.
- The Relationship Graph reports (both graphical report and code generator) need an installation of Graphviz. There is a bug in the current stable release, see this example.
- The Relationship graph can not use PDF as output format unless there is an installation of ghostscript. After installation, if gsview32.exe or gsview32c.exe is in the path, PDF should appear as one of the formats in the graphical Relationship Graph report.
At this time, there is no intent to package all the dependencies and the GRAMPS package into one installer. This creates a very complex coordination condition between GRAMPS and these other projects. It also means a single 30+ MB download every version change.
There have been discussions about trying to install compiled distillations (dynamic link libraries) of these core dependencies to avoid having to install the entire Python and GTK environment, but this work never progressed beyond discussion. For more about this and other Windows issues, see the email list archive.
[[::Windows installer|English]] • [[::Windows installer/fi|suomi]] • [[::Windows installer/fr|français]] • [[::Windows installer/lt|lietuvių]] • [[::Windows installer/nl|Nederlands]] • [[::Windows installer/pl|polski]] • [[::Windows installer/ru|русский]] • [[::Windows installer/sl|slovenščina]]