Thanks for the encouragement Dale!
Thanks for the encouragement Dale!
I noticed that you added the Icon template (among others) --- thanks for that too!
Sam888 has resolved the problem with MediaWiki refusing to serve context too heavily laden with graphics with the last update. (He's planning another update this weekend.) So it would be nice to finish populating the icon & iconset pages. (I'm hoping to use some icons to alleviate to large blocks of unbroken text.) But the process for uploading the family of icon sizes & SVGs is unclear. Can you help?
(I wonder if putting all the instructional text in the icon template into a transclusion noincludes would boost the performance of the icon template? It wouldn't make much difference on pages with a couple of icons... but when there are dozens?)
We're thinking about ways to suppress superseded pages while leaving them accessible for users of old revs of Gramps.
I'm sketching out a template for a warning box that uses the noindex & nocat magic words, IDs the Gramps version, the page that superseded the page & the current page kid different from the updated page.
Looking forward to hearing back from you. -Brian
- Your welcome, the only way to improve the icon template is for the webmaster(That is Sam888 right?) to install Lua scripting and then we can use the current version of the icon template that is written in Lua the benefits are improved performance and simpler to program the templates. Daleathan (talk) 23:32, 29 May 2020 (UTC)
Report writing tutorial
I just started exploring the Report writing tutorial and am trying to correlate the code snippets to working code samples in the Gramps GitHub repository.
It's a bit ugly to follow because the snippets are out of sequence. Even if they were in order, the current wiki snippets are pseudo code cannot be Frankensteined into a working sample report Gramplet. And the built-in Database Summary Gramplet doesn't directly correspond either. Perhaps a working sample Report could be made from the snippets and be made available for download? Once it is posted to GitHub, we can hotlink the snippets to a directly to the line numbers that correspond.
I messaged Sam to see if we could start to use a hotlink targeting extension. I would allow us to link to the lines of code & open in a target browser window (instead redirecting the existing browser window) to avoid interrupting the sequential flow of the tutorial.
So, if this extension was installed, we could define a CSS class and the markup could look something like:
<span class="samplecode">[https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/blob/master/gramps/plugins/textreport/summary.py#L297 line 297]</span>
Perhaps that could even be simplified into a parameterized template.
Visual Guide aliasing changes
Just saw your changes to a few pages
These changes defeat the original goal: making it easily for NEW users to find the Gramps-specific terminology so that they know what to look for (or the searchable terms) in the wiki. These entries add "plain English" listings to the Categories.
The category listings are not "uniform" but the category listing of "Gramps 5.1 Wiki Manual - Main Window" is NOT a new-user friendly listing.
And eliminating the "man version" transclusion template from the redirect makes that redirect into an ongoing maintenance problem.
I hope you will agree to 'undo' these changes.
Thanks for reading
- mediaiwik does not work quite how you believe in the category, but I've reversed my change to show you; please look into the category you will see the only thing it does is sort it to the letter V as the category only uses the first letter and this separates out of the letter G where the identical entry for gramps 5.0 user manual is, so the sentence "Visual Guide to the Gramps Interface" is not visible in the actual category which I believe was your intention? If you are happy with this explanation please reverse my reversal!
- The redirection change has been left as you cannot use a template in the name of a redirect have a look at the difference between the current entry and what it looked like before notice the current working entry has what looks like a little return symbol indicating the redirect is working and your entry does not because it is treating the redirect word as plain text!
- I'll attempt to remember to add a better explanation next time!
- Daleathan (talk) 01:20, 31 July 2021 (UTC)
Yes, the hack for:
1) sorting the page to the 'V's, and 2) the REDIRECT page categories
each got halfway to the desired outcome.
In combination, they get us "close" until we find the RIGHT way to add aliases to the Category indices.