Many instructional documents must repeatedly present subsets of instructions. Synchronizing all the instances of that subset repeated throughout the wiki is a poor use of energy.
These subsections can be named as separate templates and then simply included (by name) in the Wiki pages. The MediaWiki system will look up & embed the expanded subsection into the page.
By editing the template, all the pages using that template will be updated instantly. This is the handled much like re-using image files on web pages.
However, too many templates create a filing mess. An alternative to ripping out a potentially re-useable chunk of text occurs when the original document has only a single re-useable subsection. In that case, you can mark off the desirable subsection and use the original page like a template.
The following subsection is a Transclusion (transcribed inclusion) from the Gramps 5.1 Wiki Manual - Preface page. (The <onlyinclude>...</onlyinclude> tags were added the original page around the re-useable subsection.)
In this book, some words are marked with special typography:
- Internal links (aka: hotlinks, hyperlinks) mark terminology or procedures that are explained more completely elsewhere (on the same webpage or on another webpage) internally within the Gramps-Project wiki.
- External links mark terminology that is not specific to Gramps where well-defined explanations can be found on a website external to the Gramps-Project wiki.
Commands you type at the command line
- Filenames or
- Replaceable text
- Labels for buttons and other portions of the graphical interface. A trailing ▴ and ▾ in a column header indicates the sort order for table column. ◂ more headers or tabs ▸
- Hint text for hover or roll-over hints (aka Tooltips) that identify elements of the graphical interface
- Menu selections look like this: Menu -> Submenu -> Menu Item (Spaces should enclose the
->to make webpage auto-translation recognize menu words.) Gramplet pop-up menus are marked with a ∨ (Down Arrowhead button).
- Buttons you can click
- Disclosure triangle node ▶expand or ▼collapse disclosure triangular widget. All the nodes of the tree view mode can be simultaneously collapsed or expanded from the pop-up menu shown by right-clicking.
- CTRL+D Key combinations you can press on your Keyboard.
- Anything you type in
- Checked - Checkbox that is ☑ selected
- Unchecked - Checkbox that is ❏ unselected
- - Radio button that is ◉ selected
- - Radio button that is 🔘 deselected
- Abbreviated Latin notations: e.g., etc., i.e., N.B., P.S., viz., vs,
The manual also provides assorted bits of additional information in tips and notes as follows:
Tips and bits of extra information will look like this.
Notes will look like this.
Finally, there are warnings, notifying you where you should be careful:
This is what a warning looks like. If there's a chance you'll run into trouble, you will be warned beforehand.