In this book, some words are marked with special typography:
- Internal links (aka: hotlinks, hyperlinks) mark terminology or procedures that are explained more completely elsewhere (on the same webpage or on another webpage) internally within the Gramps-Project wiki.
- External links mark terminology that is not specific to Gramps where well-defined explanations can be found on a website external to the Gramps-Project wiki.
Commands you type at the command line
- Filenames or
- Replaceable text
- Labels for buttons and other portions of the graphical interface. A trailing ▴ and ▾ in a column header indicates the sort order for table column. ◂ more headers or tabs ▸
- Hint text for hover or roll-over hints (aka Tooltips) that identify elements of the graphical interface
- Menu selections look like this: Menu -> Submenu -> Menu Item (Spaces should enclose the
->to make webpage auto-translation recognize menu words.) Gramplet pop-up menus are marked with a ∨ (Down Arrowhead button).
- Buttons you can click
- Disclosure triangle node ▶expand or ▼collapse disclosure triangular widget. All the nodes of the tree view mode can be simultaneously collapsed or expanded from the pop-up menu shown by right-clicking.
- CTRL+D Key combinations you can press on your Keyboard.
- Anything you type in
- Checked - Checkbox that is ☑ selected
- Unchecked - Checkbox that is ❏ unselected
- - Radio button that is ◉ selected
- - Radio button that is 🔘 deselected
- Abbreviated Latin notations: e.g., etc., i.e., N.B., P.S., viz., vs,
The manual also provides assorted bits of additional information in tips and notes as follows:
Tips and bits of extra information will look like this.
Notes will look like this.
Finally, there are warnings, notifying you where you should be careful:
This is what a warning looks like. If there's a chance you'll run into trouble, you will be warned beforehand.