2021-12-04 - Sorry the Gramps wiki is currently being upgraded to a newer software version. Please check back after the 2021-12-08. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Life Line Chart View
Error creating thumbnail: Unable to save thumbnail to destination
This is a Third-party Addon.
Please use carefully on data that is backed up, and help make it better by reporting any comments or problems to the author, or issues to the bug tracker
Life Line Chart View is an interactive
Charts category view addon which shows individuals as lines in an ancestor or descendant chart. The length and position of the line depends on the actual life span and the marriages. The ancestor collapse is addressed. Labels for birth / names, death, and marriages can be added.
The active person on the person tab is starting point in both charts. Birth/christening/baptism, death/burial, and marriage dates need to be available to properly draw this chart. If they are incomplete reasonable guess values are chosen if possible. If not, then these individuals are not shown
If the addon was loaded successfully, then the new chart icons will appear in the tool bar:
- The charts can be configured in a dialog
- You may zoom (if the chart is focused) with
- Ctrl++ and Ctrl+-
- Ctrl+mouse wheel
- the GUI control buttons (+, -, fit to view, reset to 1)
- Scrolling is possible (if the chart is focussed) with
- mouse wheel, ⇧ Shift+mouse wheel
- Ctrl+left mouse button (grabbing)
- Context menu enables
- Opening the edit dialog
- Change active person
- Show / hide persons and ther ancestors / descendants
- Showing siblings in the ancestor chart
- You may lock Ctrl with the GUI control button "M"
- You may also use the filter to fade out individuals
- A tooltip shows the name, gramps id, birth and death date of the person.
- number of generations.
- shape and warp variants.
- label layout.
- line weighting in descendant diagram.
- Photos of the persons can be displayed along the line. Their position is either based on the date that is set in the media object, or displayed in the order of appearance in the db.
- Layout optimization algorithms.
- Overview map on the bottom left.
- The diagram can be exported as SVG.
- Dark theme.
- Handling of pedigree collapse.
If the requirements for this addon have not already been installed you will be prompted to downloaded them semi-automatically.
The addon is based on the python module life_line_chart. This python module and the dependent modules (svgwrite) are required. If these modules are not available, then downloaded to the plugins folder and used from there.
For current issues see the related tag LifeLineChartView on the bugtracker.