This is a Third-party Addon.
Please use carefully on data that is backed up, and help make it better by reporting any comments or problems to the author, or issues to the bug tracker
Internet Access required
The Place Coordinates Gramplet reads geolocations from the internet.
The Place Coordinates Gramplet simplifies setting the coordinates of a place and also provides an additional geography view.
Add the Gramplet to the bottom bar of the Places Category.
Searching geolocations of places from the DB
Searching place names from geolocations from the DB
It also provides a geography view Place Coordinate Gramplet View with a context menu that enables:
1. Adding cities as new places
2. Adding addresses as new places
3. Linking existing places with geolocations
Requires GeocodeGlib be installed.
GeocodeGlib/geocode-glib is a convenience library for the geocoding (finding longitude, and latitude from an address) and reverse geocoding (finding an address from coordinates). It uses Nominatim service (from openstreetmap.org ) to achieve that. It also caches (reverse-)geocoding requests for faster results and to avoid unnecessary server load.
- An older version of libgeocode-glib0 (3.18.2) causes segmentation faults when pressing the search button.
- Please update to a newer version of that library. For example:
wget http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/g/geocode-glib/libgeocode-glib0_126.96.36.199-4ubuntu0.18.04.1_amd64.deb apt-get install ./libgeocode-glib0_188.8.131.52-4ubuntu0.18.04.1_amd64.deb
- Help button goes to https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_5.1_Wiki_Manual_-_Gramplets#Place_Coordinates instead of this page