After a year of development, the GRAMPS project is pleased to announce the 1.1.90 (the "Successful encyclopedia salesman") release. This release marks the beginning of the release process for the upcoming 2.0.0 release.
With this release, the code and database format for the unstable release has become stable enough for the average user. The database format is now frozen, and any future changes will be accompanied by automatic upgrades.
There are some limitations that will be resolved before the 2.0 release, including updated translations and manual and updated reports.
Features in this release compared to the 1.0.X series include:
- New database format, using the Berkeley database, is the new default format. This format allows a larger capacity, faster access and lower memory usage. The 1.0.X XML database format is still supported.
- Database changes are committed immediately, so a "save" operation is no longer needed.
- Operations can now be undone.
- List display columns can be added, deleted and rearranged.
- Tip of day dialog now presents useful tips.
- Tabbed person list display has been replaced with a single list
- Name handling has been improved, allowing for patronymic names, grouping of different names under the same heading, and alternate sorting methods.
Changes from the 1.1.3 release:
Version 1.1.90 -- the "Successful encyclopedia salesman" release
- Command line support for all imports and exports is back.
- Exports to CD, package, and WFT are restored.
- Support for read-only databases.
- New type of Media Objects -- "Note only". Useful for storing overall notes, e.g. "Descriptions of coat of arms" or "Immigration history".
- Export used for "save and lay away" functionality;
"Save as" used for "save and continue editing" functionality (native formats only).
- Import from into native GRDB format.
- GnomePrint backend supports shadows for the boxes.
- GraphViz Relationship report has more options for finetuning the report looks, options for report content and looks are moved to separate tabs.
- StatisticsChart report supports more statistics types, it can generate several statistics at the same time, statistics can be presented either with barcharts or piecharts.
- Bug fixes.