Calculate Estimated Dates
This is a Third-party Addon.
Please use carefully on data that is backed up, and help make it better by reporting any comments or problems to the author, or issues to the bug tracker
The Calculate Estimated Dates tool Addon is used to add and remove birth and death events for people that are missing these events.
You can select the tool via the menu Tools->Family Tree Processing-->Calculate Estimated Dates... this brings up a Undo history warning window:
You then choose Stop or Proceed with the tool.
You will be presented with the Calculate Estimated Dates tool window. This window initially has two tabs:
- Go to the Options tab
- Check the [ ] Remove option to remove previous estimates
- Select the Add date options to date events with or without dates
- Click on Execute
- Select the people with which to add events
- Click on Add Selected Events button to create
If you decide to make an event permanent, remove it from the Source. Otherwise, it will get removed the next time you automatically remove these events.
You may have to run the tool repeatedly (without removing previous events) to add all of the events possible.
On the Select tab you will see the processed results if any.
You can individually select the checkbox(s) beside the people or Select All and then click on Add Selected Events button to create the new events shown.
Select the Options tab
- Filter: in the drop down menu you can select which portion of the database will be processed: you can also select the
- Entire database(default)
- Descendants of the Active Person
- Descendant families of the Active Person
- Ancestors of the Active Person
- People with common ancestor with the Active Person
- or any custom filter (see custom made filters).
- Filter Person: the Active Person is listed in this field, and is changeable for all filters except the Entire databasefilter. To change the Filter person click on the Select a different person icon to bring up a Select a person for the report window.
- The Select a person for the report window shows a list of people you can choose from. Use the down arrow or the > arrow to expand and collapse the nodes. In the table you will see for which persons no birth or death date is available. On the lower left hand side corner there is a Show all tick box, that when selected will show all people in the database.
- Source text: in this text field you can fill in the text that will be used in the source reference. Default value is: Calculated Date Estimates.
- Remove previously added events, notes, and source: Check box (unchecked by default)
- Birth: drop down list.
- Do not add birth events (default)
- Add birth events without dates
- Add birth events with dates
- Do not add death events (default)
- Add death events without dates
- Add death events with dates
- Maximum age: 110(default)
- Maximum sibling age difference: 20(default)
- Average years between generations: 20(default)
- Estimated Dates:
- Extremes(after and before)
- Gramps_5.1_Wiki_Manual_-_Settings#Dates for Date settings used for calculation operations to determine if a person is probably alive.
- I don't know the exact date to enter into Family Tree - If you do not know an exact date, you can either enter as much of the date as you know or estimate a year based on other information., - FamilySearch.org
- Estimating dates and ages in genealogical writing, New York Genealogical & Biographical Society
- No Help button.
- 2241 Calculate Estimated Dates function needs improvement in selecting which dates fields to estimate
- 2243 Calculate Estimated Dates keyed on birth and Life Expectancy Table lookup
- 7448 Calculation of estimated ranges - not very good
- 7898 Crash during "Calculated Estimated Dates" gramplet
- 9147 Add Option to not Calculate Estimated Dates for baptisms and burials
Note that Calculate Estimated Dates was originally builtin/part of Gramps 3.1