Other genealogy tools
In addition to the tools in GRAMPS, there are other Free Software or Open Source genealogy tools to make websites, trees, parse gedcom, .... If GRAMPS tools do not meet your needs, you may wish to consider one of the following tools.
ExpoActes is a french speaking PHP/MySQL module for easily displaying, edit and modify certificates on your web server host.
It is release under GPL, you need at least Apache 1.3, PHP 4.3 and MySQL 4.0.
Levels for access:
- 1 = Access to city, parish
- 2 = Access to patronymic
- 3 = Access to tables (names and dates)
- 4 = Access to more informations on certificates
- 5 = Allowed to load data with Nimègue (Windows program)
- 6 = Allowed to load data with CSV (OpenOffice or text)
- 7 = ** not used
- 8 = Allowed to manage all data
- 9 = Admin
Seems Linux users need main module and config. This module is powerful but in French-only. help (in french) for importing CSV on your server.
Family Connection is a GPL Web application based on Ruby on Rails, which restricts access only to family members by requiring a family password. It offers Family News, Address Book, Photo Album. Here a demo.
Gedail generates a Web genealogical site from a Gedcom file based on the gedcom 5.5 standard. It doesn't handle all gedcom elements. It is released under GPL.
GED2WWW was an open source software originally written by Leslie Howard. Jean-Baptiste Fahy maintained the program under GPL but the developments are now on a new program: GénàToile, which not display yet non-ASCII characters under UTF-8.
hrlib is a python library to read Heredis (a genealogy program) file. It allow you to read-only everything in a Heredis file with extension .hrX. Plus hrreportmaker create some reports with hrlib. It is able to use LifeLine report and also create new one in Python. There is no packages but files are on CVS. It is released under GPL.
hr2ged is a python program that transcribe Heredis file in Gedcom. It is available both with a GUI and on command-line. Also hr2db may transcribe to MYSQL, ACCESS (via ODBC), Gadfly. It is released under GPL.
JcArbGen is a KDE (qt) pedigree tree manager in french. It is released under GPL.
karto need java and is released under GPL.
Karto allows to calibrate a scanned map with some known geo-points (Lambert, UTM, ...). After that, you can add any points (GPS points) in the map to build your own map. You can also add a transparent GIF image in the map after calibration (cave or mine). It doesn't work with common genealogical formats but with most images and textual masks. Useful if you want to display ancestors on your old map.
utilspl are useful GPL perl scripts working with GEDCOM.
- cftw2lf.pl : convert Cumberland FT gedcom to LifeLines
- cftwasso.pl : witness management for Cumberland FT
- gedcalrep.pl : convert to french republican calendar
- gedmerge.pl : merge two gedcoms
- gednogeo.pl : suppress CFTW gedcom geographical coord
- gednoliv.pl : suppress living persons
- gednotes.pl : suppress xref notes
- gedphon.pl : convert soundex
- gedplace.pl : places modification
- gedrefn.pl : backup REFN keys
- gedsrc.pl : sources management
- indbook.pl : better book-latex.ll index
- leggeo.pl : make gedcom place
- listlieu.pl : lists place
- noteindi.pl : notes management
- txt2html.pl : make html table
In addition to Free Software and Open Source Software programs, there are no cost, shareware and commercial genealogy tools. It is not the goal of the GRAMPS project to promote such products, since they do not preserve the user's freedom and can lock the user's data out of his/her control.
For more information on no cost, shareware and commercial, see Cyndi's List.