Gramps 3.3 Wiki Manual - What's new?
|Special copyright notice: All edits to this page need to be under two different copyright licenses:
These licenses allow the Gramps project to maximally use this wiki manual as free content in future Gramps versions. If you do not agree with this dual license, then do not edit this page. You may only link to other pages within the wiki which fall only under the GFDL license via external links (using the syntax: [http://www.gramps-project.org/...]), not via internal links.
This section gives an overview of changes since version 3.2. These changes are also detailed later in this manual. Users of version 3.2 are encouraged to review this section to be sure to take advantage of these new features.
Before you upgrade
Creating an archive alone to safeguard your data might not be appropriate before upgrading. In the unlikely event that Gramps 3.3 corrupts your database, it could also corrupt the archive. An export as outlined in this section is recommended.
Before you upgrade, make sure your family tree data is secure. The best way to do this is:
- Start Gramps 3.2
- Open your family tree
- Export the family tree to the gramps xml format or the gramps xml package format (which includes your photographs and other media files associated with your family tree data). Export your tree via menu Family Trees->Export, making sure you export all data with no filters applied.
- Close this family tree and repeat the above steps for any other family trees you have
- Keep the resulting file(s) in a safe place
For more information, please review Backing up a Family Tree.
After properly safeguarding your data, proceed to install Gramps 3.3. Use your operating system's regular installation process to do this. It is also best to uninstall Gramps 3.2 before installing Gramps 3.3, or make sure you install Gramps 3.3 in a different location.
After you install Gramps 3.3, you can open your existing family trees and continue working. In case of problems (e.g., after a complete system upgrade), use the backup file(s) created above to recreate your family tree(s).
Visible changes to the core
- New Editor
- New filter rules
- New Gramplets
Better place handling
New Selection Dialog in Export
When exporting your data, you now have a fine-grained control over the details of how filters can be applied. You also can now check which records are selected (and which ones are not) through this interface.
Url style on Note
Simply select "Make Backup..." from the "Family Trees" menu item.
You can either choose to include the media or not.
Note that this is just a regular XML export, except that no data is filtered out. You can import these as usual with any exported file.
You can also define the pattern for the backup filename by setting the paths.quick-backup-filename in the ~/.gramps/gramps33/gramps.ini key file like the following:
You can use any of the following keywords in the pattern: year, month, day, hour, minutes, seconds, filename, extension.
- Pedigree view
More: Pedigree View
Automatic update for Addons
- "Image Metadata Gramplet" now works with pyexiv2-0.1.3 and above
- Draw reports
- Substitution Keys
- Alternate Numbering on Descendant report 
- Web stuff
- Improvements on Place report
- StringOption separated from GUI widget 
- Records report and gramplet 
Under the hood changes
There were three changes to the database file structure:
- Added a new field "locality" to the Place schema
- Added surnames to the Name schema
- surnames is a list of surnames
- prefix and patronymic are moved to the surname
- Replaced Markers with Tags
- marker removed from all
- tags added to Person, Media, Family, and Notes
- New DB version; and XML DTD (1.4.0) 
- Improvements on Import/Export file formats (vcard, gedcom, xml)
- python 2.6 and later
- pyexiv2-0.1.3, pyexiv2-0.2.2, or pyexiv2-0.3.0
- Improvements (memory leaks) 
- time for XML import
- Speed up on gramplets (pedigree)
- New translations: Ukrainian, Portuguese from Portugal
- Lang selector on Detailed textual reports
- Holidays on Calendar reports
- Improvements on some Date handlers
- Better translation on some addons
- cleanup (configure, makefiles)
- Better support for win32/64 API
TODO: need to update above content with:
- Additional Name Fields 
- Place handling
- Database (XML /part of GEPS016/, transaction, merging /part of GEPS009/)
- Sidebar/bottombar 
- New Individual Editor 
- Enhanced Pedigree View  and support 'config' on views into ancestry category .
- Substitution Keys
- Draw reports: Ancestor3.3, Descendant3.3, Page_size3.3
- Exporter has added control of filters and proxies; also has method for seeing intermediate results along the filtering process
- New simple backup option on menu
- New gramplets and performance improvements (Pedigree gramplet)
- Url style on Note object (internal uri)
- Automatic check for update (Addons)
- New filter rules
- Complete tooltips on editors and manual
- Use language selector on detailled reports, enhancement on place report, translated holiday names, numbering system alternatives on descendant report , better support for win32/mac packages, cleanup, need python 2.6 or later, new translations (Ukrainian, Portuguese from Portugal), etc ...